Kidderpore Docks, Calcutta
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken in1892 by an unknown photographer showing sailing-ships and steam-ships at their berths at the Kidderpore Docks. In March 1884, the Secretary of State confirmed the adoption of Kidderpore as the site for construction of new docks, which would provide suitable accommodation for sailing vessels in the export trade. Dock number one, the outer dock, was primarily intended for vessels bringing imports and loading export cargoes. Dock number two, the inner dock, had a frontage set apart for the discharge of salt ships. View looking north along dock number one from the swing bridge connecting it with dock number two.