Khadsia Bagh Musjid, Delhi.
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. Qudsia Begum, the wife of the Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah (r. 1719-48) and the mother of Emperor Ahmad Shah (r.1748-54), created this garden and mosque on the banks of the river Yamuna in 1748. There was also a palace on the riverfront in the garden complex. As seen in this view the mosque is a three-bay wide roofed with domes topped by sandstone finials. During the Uprising of 1857 a British battery was placed here, as the city of Delhi was one of the focal points of the Uprising. The imposing garden gateway still stands together with pavilions, the mosque and a river platform. The palace has long disappeared.