Kandy. The Club House
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Club House at Kandy, Sri Lanka, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Kandy is in the central hills, on the Mahaweli river. Although monks meditated in caves by the river-banks from ancient times, the city was founded in about the 14th century. It became the capital of Sri Lanka from the reign of Vimaladharmasuriya (ruled 1592-1604) and remained so until the country was taken over by the British in 1815. This building was originally used by the Queen of Kandy as a bath-house. Later the British added another storey and used the building as a Library.