Karachi Harbour. 23
Medium: Photographic print
View of Karachi Harbour showing a church, dock-side buildings and ships on the water, from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency' taken in the 1870s by an unknown photographer. Originally Karachi was a group of small villages made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts. Due to its location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has always been an important gateway for trade into central Asia. Port developments were carried out in the mid-19th century due to an increase in the number of ships from international ports carrying goods to and from the subcontinent. With the development of its harbour it grew into an important centre of trade and industry and was made the capital of Pakistan in 1947, although it was later shifted to Islamabad.