Kandaria-mahadeo Temple at Khajraho
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple at Khajuraho, taken by Deen Dayal in 1882. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandela dynasty which ruled in central India in the 9th century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Khandariya Mahadeva Temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandela dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture both from an architectural and a sculptural point of view. The temple is accessed through an ornate portal and is raised on a basement with friezes illustrating courtly themes. The sanctuary with a circumambulatory corridor is preceded by a mandapa or hall and five verandahs with vestibules allow light into the interior. The outer walls are decorated with three tiers of superb sculptures depicting a variety ritualised sexual postures. The spire or shikhara rises vertically reaching 30 metres in height.