Kurrachee [Karachi], Harbor.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the harbour at Karachi was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s. Originally, Karachi was made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts on the three islands of Manora, Bhit and Baba. The town started to develop when the British established relations with the rulers of Sind, first during the reign of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 1635 and later during the rule of Ghulam Shah Kalhora in 1758, by setting up factories or Kothees. The British occupied Karachi during the First Anglo-Afghan War in 1839 and after annexation the city developed rapidly.