Keamari Wharf [Karachi].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Kiamari at Karachi, taken by an unknown photographer, c.1900, from an album of 46 prints titled 'Karachi Views'. Karachi, now the capital of the Sindh province in the lower Indus valley, was once the capital of Pakistan and continues to be the country's commercial hub and largest city. Its history prior to the 18th century is largely unrecorded but it is believed to be the ancient port of Krokala on the Arabian Sea, visited by Alexander's fleet in 326 BC. Karachi is built around a bay which is a natural harbour and protected from storms by a group of small islands: Baba, Shamspir, Manora and Kiamari. The small fishing village of Karachi became a trading post when the Talpur Mirs of Sindh built a mud fort here in the 18th century, but the port remained small. It was completely transformed when its harbour was developed by the British after they conquered Sindh in the mid-19th century. Kiamari served as the landing place for all goods and passengers bound for the city of Karachi. Traffic was conveyed by the East India Tramway over a 3 mile long road running along the ‘Napier Mole’.