Kaiserbagh Baradari, [Lucknow].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kaiserbagh Baradari at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views. Lucknow on the Gomti river first attained prominence in the 15th century under the Sharqi sultans of Jaunpur. Later it was ruled by Mughal governors. By the 17th century it was a prosperous commercial centre, and continued to flourish from 1775-1856 as the capital of the independent Nawabs of Avadh (originally governors under the Mughals). The nawabs were great builders and patrons of the arts and attracted a variety of talent to their service which helped develop the city's culture. The Kaiserbagh complex was built by Nawab Wajid Ali Shah (ruled 1847-56), and was much damaged and looted in 1858. A baradari (literally twelve-doors) was an elegant nawabi-style pavilion, which together with gardens was an essential feature of much secular architecture in Lucknow. The Kaiserbagh Baradari, square in plan, stood in the middle of the palace complex, and contained a number of collonnaded halls of varying sizes.