Khas-hodi with pigs being fed, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Khas Odi Palace from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
The Khas Odi was a royal hunting lodge used by the rulers of Udaipur, the Sisodia Rajputs, who chose the city as the fourth and last capital of the Mewar State in the mid-16th century. It stands on the western shore of Goverdhan Lake in southern Udaipur and was built during the reign of Maharana Sajjan Singh (r. 1874-1884). It is now the Shikarbadi Hotel. This is a view looking up towards the walls of the palace with boar being fed on the open land in the foreground.