Kidderpore Bridge, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Kidderpore Bridge, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. The Kidderpore Bridge lay at the end of the Course, the road that crossed the Maidan. It was built in 1826 and was the earliest stone-and-iron suspension bridge in India. Kidderpore, Alipore and Bhowanipore were three suburbs of Calcutta, south of the Maidan. They were set apart from it by the canal known as Tolly's Nullah (a canal), which necessitated the building of such bridges.