View from the tower of Trinity Church in Karachi, Pakistan, looking southwards towards the sea, with a large unidentified building in the foreground, taken by an unknown photographer, c. 1900. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city and main commercial centre of the country, and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. Its history prior to the 18th century as a port on the Arabian Sea north-west of the mouth of the Indus is scant, but it is believed to be ancient. It has been identified as Krokala, the port visited by Alexander's fleet in 326 BC, is noted in a collection of 16th century Turkish sailing directions, and was transformed from a fishing village known as Kolachi-jo-Goth to a trading post under the Kalhora and Talpur rulers of Sindh in the 18th century. However, it remained modestly sized until the British conquest of Sindh in 1843. They proceeded to develop the harbour of Karachi and transform it into a major port, an important centre of trade and industry. The city is well-endowed with colonial architecture in the form of residential bungalows, educational institutions, churches and railway stations, as part of its British legacy. This photograph is from an album of 91 prints apparently compiled by P. J. Corbett, a PWD engineer involved in irrigation work at the famine relief camp at Shetpal Tank in 1897, and in canal construction in Sindh in the early 1900s.