Kashmir. Small isolated pillar near the Jumma Musjid (or Big Mosque) in Srinagar. The little temple on its summit illustrates the style of Kashmirian edifices
Photographer: Burke, John
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a largely buried column near the Jami Masjid at Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir, taken by John Burke in 1868. This image of the pillar, with its capital in the form of a miniature temple in Kashmiri style, is reproduced in Henry Hardy Cole's Archaeological Survey of India report, 'Illustrations of Ancient Buildings in Kashmir,' (1869), in which he wrote, 'Photograph No. 44 -'68, is of a beautiful little column on the outside of the Jumma Musjid. The top is crowned by a perfect little Temple, with a roof of three stories, which illustrates the style of edifices in Kashmir.'
Srinagar's Jami Masjid, at the heart of the city, was erected in the time of Sultan Sikander (ruled c.1340-c.1415), and since been rebuilt three times.