Khudabad near Dadu, Sindh. Jami Masjid from south-east, outside walls
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Khudabad near Dadu in Sind, Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896. Khudabad was ruled by the Kalhorah dynasty in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Jami Masjid was built by Mian Nur Muhammad (r.1718-1755) who established his court at Khudabad. This is a general view of the mosque, taken from the south-east, shows the screen of the east façade partly obscured by the perimeter wall in the foreground. Cousens wrote in the Progress Report of the Archaeological Survey of Western India, 1895 to 1896, "...The great massive Jami Masjid, a building now deserted and neglected. The remains of some very good tile decoration, and its historical associations make the building well worthy of conservation...All over the mosque, and as high as could be conveniently reached, the tile work has been sadly damaged by visitors trying to dig out separate tiles from the walls..."