Kala Bhavan [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kala Bhavan or Technical Institute at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The institute was founded in 1890 and taught classes in drawing, carpentry, dyeing and mechanical engineering. The original building, shown in this view, was built in a neo-classical style and furnished with a library, laboratories and work-shops. A new building was subsequently built in 1922, designed by A.H. Coyle in an Indo-Saracenic style. This followed a tradition established by the architects Charles Mant and Robert Fellowes Chisholm who worked in the city in the late 19th century.