Kachehri, Kothi Khas, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Kacheri or Court of Justice in the fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Lohagarh or Iron Fort stands in the north-west corner of Bharatpur and was built in 1733 by the Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) when the city became the capital of Bharatpur State. The Kacheri is one of several royal and government buildings erected by the Jats within the Fort during the 18th and 19th centuries. Its façade carries deep cornices and balconies supported by brackets, a projecting balcony with a bangla roof above a columned entrance of five arches, and a baradari that can just be seen on its roof. It faces a formal garden divided into parterres by pathways and water channels with an octagonal pool in the centre, in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. Both the style of the building and the garden setting are characteristic of Jat architecture, particularly the 18th-century palaces at Dig.