Kamra and Kachehri, Kothi Khas, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Kamra Palace and the Kacheri or Court of Justice in the fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Lohagarh or Iron Fort stands in the north-west corner of Bharatpur and was built in 1733 by the Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) when the capital of Bharatpur State was transferred to the city from Dig. The Kamra Palace is one of three palaces erected within the fort by the Jats between 1730 and 1850, and now houses the government museum. In this view it is shown at left, with a colonnade facing one side of a formal garden and a roof-top pavilion that gave extensive views of the surrounding countryside. The Kacheri at right is set back on the far side of the garden. Its façade, articulated by a double cornice or chajja, projecting bangla-roofed balcony and central arched entrance, is characteristic of Jat architecture, particularly the 18th-century palaces at Dig.