Kumher Palace 4302720
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Palace at Kumher, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The walled city of Kumher was founded by the Jats and is situated on a plain near Bharatpur. The palace was built in the 18th century by the Jat kings Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33) and his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) and stands on elevated ground with a wide view over the plain. It is typical of Rajput ‘garh’ or fort palaces, usually defended by high, fortified, windowless walls, with balconies and pavilions crowning the upper levels. Details on the facade, such as the carved brackets supporting the pavilion over the entrance and the curved bangla roofs at either side, are characteristic of Jat palace architecture. This is a view of the entrance to the palace.