Kumher Palace 4302721
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Palace at Kumher, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The walled city of Kumher was founded by the Jats and is situated on a plain near Bharatpur. The palace was built in the 18th century by the Jat kings Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33) and his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) and stands on elevated ground with an extensive view over the plain. It is typical of Rajput ‘garh’ or fort palaces, usually defended by high, fortified, windowless walls, with balconies and pavilions crowning the upper levels. This is a side view of the palace, with a pavilion on the skyline.