Krishn Bhawan, Deeg, from South
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the exterior of the Kishan Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Kishan Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions are arranged around a formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh, flanked by two large reservoirs or tanks. The Kishan Bhavan (c.1760) stands on a terrace at the southern edge of the garden, with another open, columned pavilion or baradari set at the back of its roof. This view is taken from a court outside the walled garden enclosure to the south and shows the baradari’s arcade of five arches and deep projecting double eaves or chajjas above a two-storey bay projecting from the wall.