Photograph of the Kumarapala's Temple on the Girnar mountain in Gujarat, taken by a photographer of the Solankee Studio around 1900, part of the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900'. The Girnar muntain in Gujarat rises more than 900 metres above the plain and is particularly sacred to the Jains. It was an important pilgrimage centre since the 3rd century BC as indicated by the inscriptions on a boulder with the edicts of the emperor Ashoka and the proclamations of a Kshatrapa and a Gupta ruler. Along the principal path that leads to the central peak there are gateways, shrines and tanks and the principal group consist of 16 Jain sanctuaries dedicated to Neminatha. These temples date from the Solanki period and later. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote,"The next and last temple to the north is Kumarapala's. It has a long open portico on the west supported by twenty-four columns. The temple proper or mandapa shrine are small, and the ceiling and architraves bear marks of iconoclastic violence. Indeed, towards the end of the last century there was little of this temple standing, except the mandapa with its beautiful pendentive and the pillars and lintels of the portico... In 1824...Seth Sri Pancha Hansraja Jetha appears, from an inscription, to have been able to proceed with the restauration. The shrine contains three images- in the middle Abhinandanatha, the fourth Tirthankara, dedicated in 1838, and on either side Adinatha and Sambhhava-dated in 1791."