La Martinière, Lucknow.
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of La Martinière taken by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. General view of the main facade of La Martiniere or Constantia, taken from beside the lake, with Parker's column in the foreground. La Martiniere was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before the completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the development of hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow in the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it was converted into a school for boys.
At the start of the Uprising of 1857 La Martiniere was occupied by the insurgents but evacuated in November 1857 with the news of Sir Colin Campbell's march towards it. During the second attack in 1858 Martiniere was deserted thus being one of the few monuments in Lucknow to escape damage. The students of the School helped in the defence of the Residency along with the British troops. After the Uprising the masters and boys of the school were provided with the mutiny medal for their services.