Library - Fort [Rampur]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Library, part of the Fort-Palace complex at Rampur in Uttar Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer, from an album of views of Rampur presented to the India Office by the Festival of Empire in November 1911. The Nawab of Rampur, Hamid Ali Khan (1896-1930), was one of the exhibitors at the Festival of Empire exhibition held at Crystal Palace to mark George V's coronation. Hamid Ali Khan organised an extensive building programme which was carried out by W.C. Wright, the Chief Engineer. Wright's architecture synthesises elements from Islamic, Hindu and Victorian Gothic, known as 'Indo-Saracenic'. The Library contains a famous collection of manuscripts which was moved to the Khas Bagh, or Hamid Manzil, in 1957.