La Martinière School, Lucknow.
Photographer: Saché, John Edward
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of La Martiniere School in Lucknow from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by John Edward Saché in the 1870s. La Martiniere School or Constantia was built by the frenchman, Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the developement of hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow in the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it is used as a school for boys.