Luchman Tela or Muchee Bhawun [Lucknow].
Photographer: Ali, Abbas
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Machi Bhawan from 'The Lucknow Album: containing a series of fifty photographic views of Lucknow,' was taken byDarogha Abbas Ali c.1874. Machi Bhawan, in the foreground, was the site of the original Lucknow fort rebuilt by Nawab Safdar Jung (r.1739-1753). The fort was demolished approximately after the Uprising of 1857-1858. Lakshman Tila, the hillock in center, is one of Lucknow's landmarks, this mound is a reference to the tradition that believes Lucknow was named after Laskmana who founded the city.
"In 1857, Muchee Bhavan was well stored with gunpowder, ammunition and ordinance supplies of all descriptions and from these, precautions had been taken to well stock the Residency. This fort is adjacent to the stone bridge; it stands on an eminence as is supposed to be the original centre around which the city of Lucknow sprang up. Two centuries have elapsed since it was made into a fort, and it may now be considered as the citadel of Lucknow."