Left-hand corner of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, with the modern Jain temple on Khandgiri Hill in the background
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the left-hand corner of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, with the modern Jain temple on Khandgiri Hill in the background, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. These twin hills are separated from each other by a narrow cleft. On the highest point of the Khandagiri Hill or 'Broken Hill' there is a modern Jain temple. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It is a double storeyed monastery, excavated on three sides of a quadrangle with a spacious courtyard.