Photograph of the Locomotive Superintendent's Residence near the Jamalpur Railway Workshops taken by an unknown photographer, c. 1897 from the Elgin Collection: 'Presented to His Excellency the Earl of Elgin & Kincardine...as a Memento of His Excellency's Visit to the East Indian Railway Workshops at Jamalpur November 30th 1897'. This is an imposing two storey brick building with stucco pilasters on the upper floor. Railway-related motifs have been incorporated in the building in the roof and porte-cochere, both of which have been constructed from sections of corrugated iron in the manner of station platform roofs. Jamalpur was the first of the major railway towns in India, built and administered by the East India Railway Company and populated entirely by railway employees. Workers were accommodated in housing appropriate to their grade in the township which was laid out with geometric precision around the works.