Lahore Gardens - Lawrence & Montgomery Halls.
Photographer: Craddock, George
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Lawrence and Montgomery Halls in the Lahore Gardens from the 'Bellew Collection: Photograph album of Surgeon-General Henry Walter Bellew' taken by George Craddock c.1870. A similar view of this building is found in the 'Brandreth Collection: Views in Simla, Cashmere and the Punjaub'. Lahore is the capital of the Punjab province in Pakistan. In 1849, this region had been annexed by the British. The Lawrence and Montgomery Halls were built in 1862 and 1866. They were named after Lahore's first two British Lieutenant-Governors; Sir John Lawrence and Sir Robert Montgomery. Sir John Lawrence later became the Viceroy of India between 1864 and 1869. The buildings follow European Classical Architecture in their design.