Lall Dighi & Post Office, Calcutta 35513
Photographer: Stretton, W.G.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by W. G. Stretton taken in the 1870s, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. A view of the Lal Dighi (tank or reservoir) and the Post Office in Dalhousie Square, originally Tank Square, and now called Benoy Badal Dinesh Bagh (BBD Bagh) in Calcutta. This tank was the largest of three in the Chowringhee area of Calcutta and had been converted from a pond into a fresh water supply in 1709. The Post Office was built in 1868.