Lukhmeshwur. A temple. [Lakshmeshwar.]
Photographer: Pigou, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Lakshmilingeshwara Temple at Lakshmeshwar in the Dharwar district of Karnataka, taken by William Henry Pigou, c.1857, from 'Architecture in Dharwar and Mysore'. The Chalukyas of Kalyana were a dynasty which ruled portions of the Deccan, now in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Andhra, from the 10th to the late 12th century, and left behind a rich legacy of temple architecture. The Lakshmilingeshwara complex consists of three shrines around a closed mandapa or hall, preceded by a large open mandapa with three lateral shrines. The
superstructures no longer exist. The outer walls are decorated with pilasters covered by detailed miniature temple towers, rhizomes and foliage springing from makaras and kirttimukha, both monster-like animals. Icons of the gods, mainly forms of Vishnu and Shiva, are situated in recesses over the towers.