LV [Lakshmi Vilas] Palace, Marble Stair case [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a marble staircase at Lakshmi Vilas Palace in Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. Originally designed and begun in 1878 by Major Charles Mant (1840-81), the palace was completed in 1890 by Robert Fellowes Chisholm (1840-1915). Both architects were pioneers of the Indo-Saracenic style, an orientalist fusion of Eastern and Western forms. The interior was richly decorated with lavish ornamental detail in this style but was conceived and furnished in a largely Western manner using European materials and designers, such as the Italian marble for the staircase, statuary by an Italian sculptor, crystal chandelier, and furniture shown in this view. An immense structure, the palace was built for the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939) and was reputedly the most expensive private building erected in India in the 19th century.