LV [Lakshmi Vilas] Palace, Upper portion of the same Stair case [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a stairwell in Lakshmi Vilas Palace at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. Originally designed and begun in 1878 by Major Charles Mant (1840-81), the palace was completed in 1890 by Robert Fellowes Chisholm (1840-1915). Both architects were pioneers of the Indo-Saracenic style, an orientalist fusion of Eastern and Western forms, and the interior was richly decorated with lavish ornamental detail in this style. An example is the cusped arches carved with foliate designs shown in this view. The interior was however planned and furnished in a largely Western manner using European materials and designers, such as Italian marble for the staircase, statuary by an Italian sculptor, Venetian mosaic floor and stained glass by a London firm. An immense structure, the palace was built for the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939) and was reputedly the most expensive building erected by a private individual in the 19th century.