Photograph taken by Fritz Kapp in 1904 of the South Gate of the Lal Bagh Fort in Dacca (now Dhaka), part of an album of 30 prints from the Curzon Collection. Lord Curzon was Viceroy of India from 1899-1905. In February 1904, he toured Eastern Bengal and visited Dhaka on the 18th and 19th where he stayed at the Ahsan Manzil Palace. This album of gelatine-silver prints commemorates his Dhaka visit, though it is not a record of it and only presents us with general views. Kapp worked as a commercial photographer from the 1880s onwards and had studios in Chowringhee Road and Humayun Place in Calcutta. From the early 1900s he had a studio in Wise Ghat Road in Dhaka. Dhaka is now the capital of Bangladesh, in the 17th century it became prominent as a provincial capital of the Mughal empire, and was a major centre of trade, particularly in fine muslins. Its history, though largely obscured, is ancient, and it was brought under Islamic rule by the 13th century, first by the Delhi Sultanate then by the independent sultans of Bengal, after which it was taken by the Mughals in 1608. In the 18th century Dhaka was eclipsed by Murshidabad under the Nawabs of Bengal and its population diminished. As the fortunes of the Nawabs declined, the power of the East India Company became a new factor. Queen Victoria’s Proclamation in 1858 brought all the territories held by the Company (including Dhaka) under British rule. This is a view of the ruined southern gateway of the Lal Bagh Fort complex of Dhaka, believed to have been begun by the Mughal governor Prince Azam Khan, son of emperor Aurangzeb, in about 1678, but never completed. It has many buildings in the Mughal style, including the tomb of Pari Bibi, the large Lal Bagh Mosque, the Audience Hall and the Hamam (bath-house) of Nawab Shayista Khan, which is now a museum. Shayista Khan, Azam's successor, tried to continue the building of Lal Bagh but stopped at the early death of his daughter Pari Bibi. The finished part of the fort contains two main gates on the north and south within the massive walls of brick. The southern gateway is three-storeyed with arched niches and decorated with domed pavilions or chhattris.