Photograph taken about 1900 by the Government photographer, Zacharias D'Cruz of a view of the Leper Asylum buildings, Trivandrum. It is one of 76 prints in an album entitled 'Album of South Indian Views' of the Curzon Collection. George Nathaniel Curzon was Under Secretary of State at the Foreign Office between 1895-98 and Viceroy of India between 1898-1905.This institution was opened in 1896-97 and the lepers were hitherto accommodated in the Charity Hospital, Thycaud were transferred here. The hospital was managed 'on the most up-to-date model', every attention being given to the food, clothing, exercise and general personal hygiene of the inmates. They were encouraged to keep themselves occupied with some kind of creative work. Amusements were also provided in the form of reading, singing, football and playing cards.