Photograph taken by an unknown photographer in c. 1878, of Ludlow Castle in Delhi. It was here, outside the Kashmir Gate at Delhi in the area known as the Civil Lines that the British erected buildings such as Ludlow Castle, which is in the form of a large, one-storeyed bungalow with collonaded verandahs. The Gate was one of 14 built by the Mughal Emperor Shahjahan in the wall which surrounded his new city of Shajahanabad. The Kashmir Gate, through which caravans once made their way en route to Kashmir, is one of the few gates remaining. The area soon became established as the focal point of the European community and was later the scene of fighting during the Indian Uprising of 1857. Europeans escaped the city through this Gate and reinforcements arrived and made their attack on Delhi from this Gate. The rebels at one point even occupied Ludlow Castle. Samuel Ludlow (d.1853), a surgeon with the Bengal establishment of the East India Company was based in the Delhi residency from 1813-31 which is probably when he erected Ludlow Castle in the civil lines of Delhi. It later become the Commissioner's House and was pulled down sometime during the 1960s.