Large ruined tomb in front of the Nagina Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a large ruined tomb in front of the Nagina Masjid at Champaner, taken by Henry Cusens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The ruined city of Champaner is situated north-east of Ahmadabad. It was a stronghold of Rajput kings until the Sultanate ruler Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) took the city in 1484. The Nagina Masjid, or Jewel Mosque, dates to the mid-16th century and is situated just north of the citadel. This photograph is reproduced in collotype in 'Archaeological Survey of Western India', VI, pl. lxx, and described by Burgess on p. 44: "In front of this mosque is another ruined tomb, from which the screens, that must have closed the spaces between the inner square of pillars, have entirely disappeared. It has six pillars on each of the four sides...the spandrels of the arches, in several cases, still contain the perforated panelling that once filled them...On the west side is an advanced porch. the central area of the building was covered by a brick dome with bold projecting ribs, and the corner spaces were roofed by smaller ones...The projecting eaves have mostly fallen...".