Photograph of the stereoscopic view of the left end of the façade of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave 1, at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD, a period of time which coincides with the Hinayana and Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. Cave 1 is a very fine monastery from the late 5th century. The verandah has cells and porches at the ends and three doorways leading into the hall. The columns shafts are carved with bands of jewelled ornaments. The amalaka capital supports a square abacus ornamented with a group of carved figures and on the brackets there are flying figures. Above the verandah are figurative friezes and the doorways are decorated with amorous couples, maidens and naga deities.