Main entrance & Man Mandir, Gwalior Fort.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance and the Man Mandir, Gwalior Fort, from the Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken by Deen Dayal in c.1882. Since the eighth century Gwalior has had a succession of rulers including the Rajputs, Mughals and Marathas. It rose to great prominence during the period of Tomar Rajput rule between 1398 and 1518, particularly during the reign of Raja Man Singh (r.1486-1517). The Man Mandir is a remarkable Hindu palace built by Man Singh inside the fort at Gwalior. The fort stands on a long, narrow, sheer-sided hill almost 100 m high. A long ramp on the eastern side leads up through six gates to the summit of the hill to the main entrance. The palace dominates the east flank of the fort with its impressive façade forming part of the curtain wall, regularly spaced by circular towers with domed pavilions. The walls of the southern facade are covered in blue, yellow and green tiles applied in friezes of geometric patterns or geese and crocodiles with entwined tails. On the solid part of the parapet are elephants, peacocks and trees. This view is from the ramparts looking down onto the road leading up to the main entrance to the fort, with the Man Mandir palace at the right.