Mausoleums of the Bundela chiefs at Orc[h]ha, near Jhansi.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the cenotaphs of the Orchha Rajas on the Betwa River at Orchha, from an Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken by Deen Dayal, c.1882. Orchha was founded as the capital of the Rajput state of Bundelkhand in Central India by Raja Rudra Pratap (r.1501-31) in 1501. The citadel is situated on an island in the Betwa river. This is a view of the cenotaphs, or memorial chatris, of the Orchha kings that lie along the banks of the Betwa river. This is a view looking along the bank of the Betwa River towards the cenotaphs of the Bundela chiefs and their ranis. The most distant is the massive uncompleted mausoleum of Bir singh Deo (r. 1605-27). The city reached the height of its political power with its greatest architectural achievements during the reign of Raja Bir Singh Deo. The remaining cenotaphs are those of Bharti Chand (1531-54), Madhukar Sah (1554-92), Pahar Singh (1641-53) and Sanwant Singh (1752-65).