Maharaja's Palace [Khas Mahal] from North-East [Bharatpur]
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Maharaja’s Palace at Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This view from the north-east shows a walled garden in the foreground with the palace behind. The palace stands within the
Lohagarh or Iron Fort, a citadel in the walled city of Bharatpur. The fort was built by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) and the palace is one of three in the fort built by the Jats between 1730 and 1850, the others being Badan Singh’s
Palace, also known as the Old Palace, and the Kamra Palace. The Maharajah’s Palace is a typically asymmetric Rajput palace but has bangaldar or curved roofs and balconies supported on heavy carved brackets, both characteristic of Jat royal
architecture at Bharatpur and nearby Dig.
The album was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.