Maharaja's Palace at Sewar, 3 miles from Bharatpur
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Maharaja’s Palace at Sewar near Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Bharatpur State was founded in 1722 by the Sinsini Jat Badan Singh (r.1722-33) who became the first Raja of Dig in 1722. Bharatpur became the state capital in 1733 when it was captured by Badan Singh’s son, Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). He raised the Jat power to its zenith, sacking Delhi in 1753 and capturing Agra in 1761. The palace at Sewar, about three miles to the south-west of Bharatpur, was an additional royal residence to the three Jat palaces within the Lohagarh or Iron Fort in Bharatpur. This is a general view of the palace from outside the enclosing wall. Details on the façade are characteristic of Jat architecture, such as the balconies supported on carved brackets and the curved bangaldar roof. A new palace was later built in an eclectic Edwardian style at Golbagh, a mile outside the city, in 1905.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.