Maharaja's Bungalow, Sewar
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Maharaja’s Bungalow at Sewar near Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This is a general view of the stone building with a wide verandah and thatched roof. Originally a lightly-constructed dwelling with a veranda, by the early 20th century the Indian bungalow had evolved to become a more imposing residence suitable for eminent residents. Bharatpur State was founded in 1722 by the Sinsini Jat Badan Singh (r.1722-33) when he became the first Raja of Dig in 1722. Bharatpur became the state capital in 1733 when it was captured by Badan Singh’s son, Suraj Mal (r.1733-63), who raised the Jat power to its zenith. The main royal residences at Bharatpur were three palaces within the Lohagarh or Iron Fort. In addition to the bungalow, there was also a palace at Sewar, about three miles to the south-west of Bharatpur.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.