Minaret with ruins, Byana Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograpah of a minaret and ruins at Bayana Fort near Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This view shows the minaret on the right with a ruined building on the left. The fort in which the minaret stands was originally the capital of the Jadon Rajputs, but was twice possessed by Muslim invaders, once in the 11th century by Mahmud of Ghazni, and then for a period of 500 years from the end of the 12th century by the Sultans of Delhi and later the Mughal Emperors. The incomplete minaret dates from the later period of Islamic occupation, built by Nizam Khan, the Governor under Ibrahim Shah Lodi from 1519-20. After the break up of the Mughal Empire Bayana became a part of the terrritory of the Jat rulers of Bharatpur.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.