Memorial at Cawnpore to British women and children massacred by Nana Sahib, 1857, India
Photographer: Ricalton, James
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the Memorial at Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh, taken by James Ricalton in c. 1903, from The Underwood Travel Library: Stereoscopic Views of India. The sculptor of this memorial, Baron Carlo Marochetti, was born in Turin in 1805 and grew up in Paris. He fled to England with King Louis-Phillippe during the 1848 Revolution and became a favourite with the British Royal family. One of his most famous statues is 'Richard Coeur de Lion' which stands outside the Houses of Parliament in London. Marochetti's Angel is a memorial to those who lost their lives in the Indian Uprising of 1857, mainly women and children. The sculpture was originally situated in the Municipal Gardens covering the Bibighar Well, but was relocated to the Memorial Church after Independence was granted in 1947. This is one of a series of 100 photographs, designed to be viewed through a special binocular viewer, producing a 3D effect, which were sold together with a book of descriptions and a map. Stereoscopic cameras, those with two lenses and the ability to take two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th century and revolutionised photography. They cut down exposure time and thus allowed for some movement in the image without blurring as subjects were not required to sit for long periods to produce sharp results.