Mahadeo Temple at Khajraho (Bundelkhand). Built 45 years BC.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple at Jhajuraho, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1870s. This temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandella dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture both from an architectural and a sculptural point of view. The temple is accessed through an ornate portal and is raised on a basement with friezes illustrating courtly themes. The sanctuary with a circumambulatory corridor is preceded by a mandapa and five verandas with vestibules which allow light onto the interior. The outer walls are decorated with three tiers of superb sculptures depicting a variety of ritualised sexual postures. The spire or shikhara rises vertically reaching 40 metres in height.