Monument of Sir Thomas Munroe, Madras
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the monument to Sir Thomas Munro at Madras, taken by Frederick Fiebig in c.1851. Munro (1761-1827), considered one of the most able of the English administrators in India, was a Major-General in the British Army and served as Governor of Madras between 1820-27. He is buried in St. Mary’s Church in Fort St George. The equestrian statue is by Francis Chantrey (1781-1841), the most outstanding English portrait sculptor of his generation, and was erected in 1839. It stands on the Island, immediately to the south of Fort St. George. Little seems to be known about Frederick Fiebig. He was probably born in Germany and became a lithographer (and possibly was also a piano teacher) in Calcutta, publishing a number of prints in the 1840s. In the late 1840s Fiebig turned to photography using the calotype process, producing prints that were often hand-coloured. His photographs includes several hundred views of Calcutta in the early 1850s, one of the earliest detailed studies of a city, a large hand coloured collection of which were bought by the East India Company in 1856, their first major acquisition of photographs. Among the roughly 500 pictures were views of Calcutta, Madras, Sri Lanka, Mauritius and Cape Town.