Photograph by Frederick Fiebig from an album of 70 handcoloured salt prints, of the statue of Sir Edward Barnes in Colombo, Sri Lanka (Ceylon). Little is known of the photographer apart from the fact that of German origin, he was an artist and lithographer in Calcutta, publishing a number of prints in the 1840s. He turned to photography in the late 1840s, using the calotype process and producing prints that were frequently hand-coloured. His photographs include hundreds of views of Calcutta, and views of Madras, Sri Lanka, Mauritius and Cape Town. The East India Company purchased a set of his hand-coloured views in 1856. Sir Edward Barnes, (1776-1838) was a soldier who had served on Wellington's staff and was wounded at Waterloo in 1815. He was the Governor of Ceylon, 1824-1831. Perhaps his greatest achievement was an ambitious policy of road building which opened up the island to large scale economic exploitation and aided in unifying Ceylon. He consolidated British control over the Kandyan provinces through directing the construction of the military road between Colombo to Kandy. He was also responsible for introducing coffee cultivation on the West Indian system in 1824. This commemorative statue of him was inaugurated in June 1847 in the quarter of Colombo known as the Fort.