Mausoleum of Hoshung Shah Ghori at Mandu
Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the tomb of Hoshang Shah at Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, taken by Lala Deen Dayal in 1882. This is a general view of the tomb at Mandu, a historic ruined hill fort. The tomb dates from c.1440 and stands in a courtyard to the west of the Jami Masjid. It is a square structure on a plinth crowned by a central dome with smaller domes at the corners and an overhanging cornice. The tomb is constructed from white marble with carved decoration of flowers and blue enamel stars and is significant as one of the earliest of its kind in India. Hoshang Shah Ghuri (ruled 1405 -1435) was the second Sultan of Malwa, a dynasty which ruled Mandu between 1401 and 1531. They renamed the fort 'Shadiabad' (City of Joy) and built palaces, mosques and tombs amid the gardens, lakes and woodland within its walls. Most of the remaining buildings date from this period and constitute an important provincial style of Islamic architecture believed to have influenced later Mughal architecture at Agra and Delhi. The tomb is one of the best examples of this style at Mandu. The photograph is from an album containing architectural and landscape studies of various sites in Central India. The majority of the photographs were taken by Deen Dayal while on tour with Sir Lepel Griffin (1838-1908), who served as Resident at Indore and Agent to the Governor-General of Central India between 1881 and 1888. Many are reproduced in autotype in his ‘Famous Monuments of Central India’ (London, 1886). The album was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.