Mausoleum [in the Makbara enclosure, Junagadh] intended for Vazier Bah'unddin bhai [Baha-ud-din]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Baha-ud-din's Tomb at Junagadh, Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
Junagadh was ruled by the Muslim Babi dynasty, established in c.1735 by Sher Khan Babi. Their tombs, known as maqbaras, are situated within the city walls in two groups, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries respectively, and are some of the most extraordinary and fantastical buildings in Gujarat. The spectacular mausoleum in this view was erected by Vazier Baha-ud-din, an important minister at the court of Nawab Rasul Khanji (r.1892-1911). The richly-ornamented main structure is crowned with onion domes and flanked by four minarets encircled by spiral stairways.