Mosque [in Junagadh]
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chitakhana Masjid at Junagadh in Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
The Chitakhana Masjid is among several mosques at Junagadh built during periods of Muslim rule. The oldest dates from the 13th century following the conquering of the town by Mahmud of Ghazni. Another was built in the 19th century during the reign of the Nawabs of Junagadh, a Muslim dynasty who founded Junagadh State in 1735 and were the main patrons of notable examples of Islamic architecture in Junagadh. This view of the Chitakhana mosque shows two ornate minaret towers rising from square bases, crowned with small onion domes.