Monumental temples, Panchgunga River [Kolhapur].
Medium: Photographic print
View of the temples on Panchaganga river, Kolhapur, from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894' taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Situated on the banks of the river Panchaganga is the capital city of the former princely state of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, south west India. The city has been subject to many different rulers, between the 10th and 13th centuries it was ruled by the Yadavas; later it came under the Mughal control, and in 1675 it was conquered by Maratha chief Shivaji. The town is renowned for its ancient temples; on the river bank is an enclosure where members of the royal family were cremated and there are many temples dedicated the family including Shivaji III, Aba Saheb and Babasaheb. Of these the biggest is the temple of Shivaji III built in 1815 which contains some beautiful carvings.